Shakshouka - Eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce
- 4 large ripe tomatoes (or 1 tin of whole or chopped tomatoes)
- 1 red or yellow capsicum diced
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- A little chilli to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 6-8 eggs
- 1 loaf crusty bread, turkish bread or toast to serve
- Fry the onion in the pan.
- Once the onion has softened add the chilli and garlic and fry gently for 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, allow to cook for about 1 minute so that the cumin releases its aroma.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the capsicum.
- Now it's time to add the eggs.
- Make sure the mixture in the pan is moist enough to poach eggs.
- If not, simply add some water.
- Then crack the eggs into the pan and cook covered on a low heat until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Serve on the bread.