Serves 8 – 12
- 4 size 7 Big Paddock egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- Preheat oven to 150ºC.
- Mark a 23cm circle on a baking paper sheet and place on an oven tray.
- Place the egg whites in a bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar tablespoon by tablespoon, beating continuously until the mixture is smooth, glossy and stands up in peaks.
- Beat in the vanilla, vinegar and cornflour.
- Spoon or pipe the mixture onto the pre marked baking paper circle.
- Bake in the oven for 1–1 ¼ hours or until lightly golden and hard to the touch on the outer part of the mixture but marshmallowy in the centre.
- Turn off the heat and leave the pavlova in the oven until the oven is cold.
Decorate with whipped cream and chopped fresh fruit such as kiwifruit and strawberries.