Serves 1 – Recipe by Howard Helmer
- 3 size 6 or 7 Big Paddock eggs
- ½ cup finely chopped chives or baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry white wine
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Mix the chives or spinach and the cheese together in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar and dry white wine until well blended and pour the mixture into a jug.
- Heat a fry pan over a low to medium heat and wipe or spray with a little vegetable oil.
- Pour in just enough egg to cover the bottom of the pan (as if for a crepe) and simultaneously tilt and roll the pan so the pan bottom is covered with a paper-thin coating of egg (the egg should set instantly).
- Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of the filling all over the top.
- Carefully roll the thin egg pancake from 6 o’clock on the pan upwards to 12 o’clock on the pan using 2 forks or 2 chopsticks.
- Now slide the rolled pancake back down to the 6 o’clock position on the pan and Leave in the pan.
- Pour in enough egg mixture to cover bottom of the pan and tilt and roll the pan so the pan is covered with a paper-thin coating of egg that attaches itself to the first roll.
- Spread with filling as before.
- Roll egg mixture upward incorporating the new egg pancake into the existing roll.
- Repeat the procedure until there is no more egg mixture.
- Slide the roll of egg to the top of the pan and lift the pan handle so the roll falls onto a plate. Slice and serve.