Ham & Vegetable Strata
Serves 4–6 – Recipe by Sophie Gray
- 6 size 7 Big Paddock eggs
- 4 generous cups of cubed, day old bread – I use about 2/3 of a baguette from the supermarket
- 150g cream cheese
- 150ml milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 courgette, diced
- ½ red capsicum, chopped
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- 100g shaved ham
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup grated cheese – use edam, feta, parmesan… whatever you prefer
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion, capsicum and courgette until softened.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking until they begin to soften.
- While the vegetables are cooking, slice bread into cubes.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs one at a time to the cream cheese, beating to combine.
- Add the chilli flakes and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold bread pieces into the egg mixture, soaking thoroughly.
- Arrange half the bread in an oven-proof dish approx 26x18cm.
- Sprinkle on half the vegetables and tear half the shaved ham into smallish pieces and scatter on.
- Top with another layer of the soaked bread, the remainder of the vegetables and the rest of the shaved ham.
- Top with grated cheese and bake for 35 minutes or until golden.