- 5 size 7 Big Paddock eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups sushi rice
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 75g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 300g chicken breast fillet, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup dashi stock or chicken stock
- 50 snow peas, cut into long thin strips
- 2-3 spring onions, finely shredded diagonally
- Put the rice into a sieve and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear; drain.
- Combine the rice and water in a heavy based saucepan.
- Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stand, still covered, for 10 minutes.
- Heat the canola oil in a deep frying pan or wok, and cook the onion and mushrooms over medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft and lightly golden.
- Add the chicken and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, vinegar and sugar, stir to combine, then add the dashi or chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Pour the eggs over the mixture, cover (use a baking tray if you don’t have a lid) and cook for about 2 minutes or until lightly set.
Divide the rice into deep bowls.
Spoon the chicken and egg mixture, with the broth.
Top with snow peas and spring onions, and serve immediately.
Cooking tipsSushi rice, dashi and rice vinegar are available at most large supermarkets.
Make up dashi stock by combining a 10g sachet with 1 cup boiling water. You could use chicken stock if dashi is unavailable.