Best Ever Bacon & Egg Pie
Serves 6 – 8 Recipe by Sophie Gray
- 8 size 7 Big Paddock eggs
- ½ cup bacon, chopped
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 egg yolk beaten with a tablespoon of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 400g block (or sheets) of store bought puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Roll out two thirds of the pastry on a floury bench to line a shallow greased 23cm pie tin.
- Scatter over spring onion and half of the bacon, break in the eggs and season, then scatter on the remaining bacon.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to make a lid. Crimp the pastry edges together with your fingers and trim off any excess. Use the trimmings to decorate the pie if you wish (attach these with a dab of egg wash).
- Cut four small vents in the pastry lid with a sharp knife. Brush with beaten egg mix and bake 35 - 40 minutes until rich golden brown and crispy.
- Serve warm – or cold.