Poached Egg & Lemon Couscous Salad
- 4 size 7 Big Paddock eggs
- 1¼ cups reduced salt chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups frozen broad beans
- 1 bunch asparagus, halved length-ways and cross-ways
- 60g baby rocket leaves
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, shredded
- Place the chicken stock into a saucepan, cover and bring to the boil.
- Add the couscous, stirring once.
- Turn off the heat and stand, tightly covered for 5 minutes.
- Stir then transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in the rind, juice and oil and fluff up the grains with a fork.
- Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Place the broad beans into a sieve under running water to loosen the skins.
- Pinch a hole in each skin and slip the bean out.
- Put the asparagus and broad beans into a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Stand for 3 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold running water. Drain well.
- Combine the asparagus, broad beans and rocket with the couscous.
- Heat about 5cm water in a large saucepan or deep frying pan.
- Bring to a simmer. Carefully crack the eggs into a cup, then slide into the water.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until the whites have set.
- Divide the couscous between 4 serving plates and top with a poached egg.
- Sprinkle with mint and freshly ground black pepper.
If you want to use fresh broadbeans, you will need about 500g. Open the bean pods and pull out the beans. Pierce the end of the greyish skin on each bean with your thumbnail, and slip the bright green bean out. Blanch as directed.